Sunday, April 10, 2016

A BAD CASE OF WANDERLUST

I never even heard of the word "Wanderlust" before I started an Instgram account. All these beautiful travel photos posted from around the world with the hashtag #wanderlust made me google it. Turns out it's a German word, from wandern to wander + Lust to desire, pleasure. So that's what I have. I have a serious case of wanderlust.

Let's name a few of the symptoms. 1) I have a world map hanging over my bed with little pins that mark all the places I've been. 2) I plan my trips practically a year in advance so I'll know everything there is to know before I get there. 3) I go on Tripadvisor.com almost daily for research and to talk with other travelers on the forums. 4) Watch every single YouTube video of a future destination that I plan on going to. 5) After every pay check counting how many days of vacation I have for my next adventure. 

Those are just a few of the things that I do. I catch myself thinking of not being at work but spending my days exploring a totally new environment and meeting different people along the way. It's so bad that I turn my nose up to the idea of going on a weekend trip to Tahoe now. I think to myself, that money could go towards an international trip. Even the idea of spending money on Warriors playoff tickets or to a expensive restaurant isn't what I want anymore, even though in years past I would have loved those things. Now instead of spending $150 at a sushi restaurant in San Francisco, I'd rather fly to Japan and have the real thing. Material things have low priority to me. Fancy clothes, expensive cars, big house is all vanity to me. What's the point? I've always thought that when a person is on their deathbed, they will never look back on their life and say I'm sure glad I bought that 1997 BMW or that I bought that Gucci shirt and big house. A person will never look back and say I'm so glad I worked secularly all those thousands of hours to make all that money. All those won't come to mind or even matter. But if a person were dying and looked at the places they were able to see and experience, the cultures and lasting friendships they made with people  while traveling around the world. Those will bring a smile and possibly add to feeling a sense of accomplishment in life.

But the negative part of this wanderlust is I'm not sure if it'll ever go away. There literally is an unlimited amount of countries and places to visit around the world. It's like a drug, constantly chasing for that next high. And the more I travel, the more I find myself excited for the next place on my list. Hopefully I will be able to quench this wanderlust. I guess we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment